Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Week 3- Technology #2

Skeleton
By clicking on the word above it will take you to the website.

My objective for this tool would be to also teach the 5th graders about the body, but this time it will be about the bones in your body. I will teach the students first about their internal organs with the digestive tract and work my way out. I will make sure that each student is familiar with each of the bones and where they all go. For their individual assessment I will have them play a game for me (that is found on the same website under skeleton). While they play this game they have to put the skeleton body back together by placing the bones in the correct place.
Since this is a virtual tour it will help the students remember what they learn. The students tend to get bored if they continue to learn through discussions and lectures. This web site will help to change the lesson up. They will be able to stay focused because it has music, pictures and is narrated.
While at the web page I personally have learned a lot. I always wondered about how many bones I had in my body. It was very interesting to find out that I have 22 bones in my skull, and my backbone has 26 bones. However, some people have more and some people have less. I feel that one of the most important things I want the students to learn is about healthy bones. That is one of the biggest problems the schools are facing today is students with healthy bodies. It tells you the ways to have healthy bones by exercising. It tells how the different parts of your body need the different types of vitamins.
All teachers should use this virtual tour when teaching students about the human body. Most teachers would use posters, but posters are not as good as a virtual tour. The best thing would be if each student had their own computer and could go through the tour at their own pace. They each teacher can assess the student by having them play the game on the web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment